Net Zero Carbon
What is the investment plan to become net zero carbon by 20XX?
#netzero #decarbonisation #sustainability #energytransition #strategydefinition #changemanagement #financialmanagement #businesscase #organisationaldesign
CONTEXT & CHALLENGES
- Brussels Airport Company (BAC) committed to be Net Zero Carbon (NZC) by 2050. Since 2010, carbon reduction has been on BAC’s agenda, resulting in Carbon Neutrality in 2018 and in a 38% CO2 reduction in 2021 compared to 2010.
- Hence, BAC has the ambition to go beyond by bringing carbon emissions (scope 1 and 2) close to zero where feasible. The question asked by BAC is “What is the investment plan to become Net Zero Carbon by 20XX?”
- Documented hypothesis and risks linked to 3 defined scenarios
- Consolidated and elaborated Board Presentation of NZC Strategy
- Simulation tool and a roadmap for further implementation and follow-up
Our analysis was focused on scope 1 and 2 as carbon assessment, with mainly stationary emission sources. We conducted interviews with more than 20 internal stakeholders to understand the potential of carbon reductions, the current state of reduction projects/ideas/analysis.
We centralised the scattered data and get a full overview of potential reductions with the technical, commercial and operational feasibility.
Based on this information, 3 investments screnarios were defined. Then, for each scenario, risks and assumptions were identified, estimated and documented.
Finalize and communicate simulation tool and define a preliminary roadmap to guide BAC’s internal team in the implementation.
Elaboration of consolidated and elaborated version of Strategic Committee presentation, base for a board presentation later during the month.